Re: [rhn-users] usb camera removes second cdrom-R/RW

sandor.suta@bredband.net wrote:

Both no and yes, it depends how I turn the camera on and the computer.
In the first case I have the computer turned off and I plug in the camera and turn the camera on and after that I turn on my computer and let it boot in a normal way with the camera plugged in and the power turned on. And now when I have logged in, I can mount my camera, when I am turning the camera off, the line "/dev/sda1 /mnt/camera auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0" in fstab is removed and added again when I'm reconnecting the camera. It's in this way I want updfstad to function, I don't want to always have my camera connected and turnd on when I'm turning my computer on.

In the second case, its vice versa, The computer's power is turned on (the normal way unlike to the first case above) and I have logged in to my account. I'm plugging the camera in to the computer and turn the power on on the camera, the line "/dev/sda1 /mnt/camera auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0" is added to fstab.
And when I turn the camera off the line stays, as it did for you, but the line for my CD-R/RW "/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0" is removed.
Ok I could remove the kudzu from that line and the line would not be removed, but then when I turn on my camera again a line "/dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0" would appear and disappear at disconnect.

Now we're getting somewhere.

It's looking like detection order issue.

My camera use scsi device 0,0,0 in the first case described above
And 1,0,0 in the second case. And My CD-R/RW use 0,0,0 in the second case and 1,0,0 in the first case.

So the CDROM is USB too? Is it attached to the same controller? Same HUB?

Just changing the fstab options won't solve the detection order issue.
That said, The USB CD should be scd0, and the camera sda.
/dev/camera should be a suymlink to /dev/sda1
/dev/cdrom1 should be a link to /dev/scd0

I'd remove all the fstab entries that mention kudzu, at leats the CD and Camera ones.
Boot without them plugged in. Plug in the CD. remover the kudzu option in /etc/fstab.
Plug in the camera, remove the kudzu option too. now all should be OK.

If you want to debug and actually fix it, it will take more work. You need to check /var/log/messages, dmesg, /proc/scsi, and lsusb along with /dev and /etc/fstab.

It looks like changing the order , changes the SCSI-ID (0,0,0 and 1,0,0) and kudzu thinks they are different devices.

-Thomas