Re: post-installation suggestions for RH 8.0

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Samuel Flory wrote:

> Tommy McNeely wrote:
>
> > running up2date the first time is a "part" of the install as far as
> > I'm concerned.. unless you do NFS installs and keep the packages
> > updated on there (can we do that?)
> >
> > the dma thing should be part of the first time setup stuff
> >
> > the i18n should not be modified. if you have an app that is acting
> > funny, then just do
> >
> > $ export LANG=C
> > $ man whatever
>
>   Actually putting this in your .bashrc is a better fix.
> alias man="env LANG=C man"

but that's only going to help the specific user that does that.
if you're the admin, i would think that fixing the problem on
a system-wide basis is a much better way to go, no?

and your solution fixes it only for the man command, not for
other commands like "acroread", which suffers from the same
problem.

rday

p.s.  i'm pretty sure the "env" command is unnecessary in the
above.  just typing "LANG=C man <blah>" is sufficient, at least
AFAICT.