RE: Why Telnet? (Was RE: Connection refused - why?)

At work, we use lots of Unix machines: AIX, HP, Sun, etc., along with Linux.
SSH is not always available or installed by default.  Telnet is always
available.  CRT is our corporate standard for the telnet client (and we paid
for it).  ssh does add some network overhead via the encryption, and when
you are paying for private frame, it adds up.  All of our major clients use
telnet in their private networks.

A secure and segregated network using multiple firewalls, NAT, IDS, multiple
VLANS, and only opening-up the ports we need is the primary means to protect
the network.  If someone hacks through all that, then it is already too late
and the choice of telnet/ssh on the local backend net is already a moot
point, IMHO

JMF