Re: again I ask: WHY does printing in RH Psyche have to be such aPITA??

Elton Woo wrote:

I've finally found that my printer will not print in colour, because the colour mechanism is defective. At least, it can or should print in monochrome. LEXMARK Z53, (parallel-port, usb)

<snip>

on *his* system. It only will print in monochrome Black. (That'll teach me to buy a
display item from Radio Shack!!! <*grrrr*> ....).

So take it back? Send it to Lexmark for repair? It should be under warranty, every display item I've bought at Radio Shack was considered new, and priced the same as new. price watch lists them ~$90 total.

so, I'm resigned to printing in B & W ... until such time that I can either repair the printer, or purchase another one.

Today, for no reason, I cannot print (except to do test prints
using either the CUPS admin utility, or the redhat printer configuration utility (printconf-gui). This latter insistently
defaults to /dev/lp0, instead of /dev/usb/lp0.
So the test prints work?

... I've now spent almost a hour trying to print a letter from
Open Office or the same from Abiword. The jobs don't even *show* in the Cups config jobs list...

Can you print from the command line? Plain text? PostScript? Images?

   -Thomas