DHCP Client Not Seeing Everything

Hello psyche-list,

I have configured a RH 8.0 system as the LAN's DHCP server. For my
notebook computer, I have configured an entry in the server's
configuration to recognize the notebook's Ethernet hardware address
and always assign a particular IP address to it.

When I boot under Win2K Pro, this works just fine. However, when I
boot into RH 8.0 on my notebook, the network does not get fully
configured. The IP address provided by the DHCP server is used, but
there is nothing added to /etc/resolv.conf, so all DNS lookups fail.

I did an "ifdown eth0", ran ethereal in capture mode, and did an "ifup
eth0". I captured two packets, the DHCP client broadcast query and the
response. I'm no DHCP expert, but it looks like the response contains
all the information I would expect. (I have attached the short capture
file to this message.)

The dhclient-eth0.leases file contains the entry:

lease {
  interface "eth0";
  fixed-address 192.168.254.100;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
  option dhcp-message-type 5;
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.254.1;
  option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.254.1;
  option broadcast-address 192.168.254.255;
  option domain-name "off.mydomain.com"; [not the real domain]
  renew 4 2002/12/12 00:48:35;
  rebind 4 2002/12/12 12:24:27;
  expire 4 2002/12/12 15:24:27;
}

which also seems to have the right info.

Any ideas on why it is that /etc/resolv.conf is not getting set up
right?

Ron.