Re: Running X on servers in really plain language...

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Jim Christiansen wrote:

>Ok, so what I'm understanding is that a linux host system
>without X installed can be accessed from another computer,
>remotely, using ssh and its X system to operate an X session
>from the host?

>From the very beginning of X back in the early 1980s, X was
designed to be a network transparent window system.  X uses a
client/server model to accomplish this.  The X server, is what
controls your video card and display, and handles keyboard and
mouse input among other things.  The X server provides a
mechanism for arbitrating access to shared resources amongst X
client applications.

An X 'client' is simply an X application linked to the standard
Xlib library and other libraries that are part of the X window
system.  The application talks to the X server through either a
local UNIX socket, or using TCP/IP to instruct the server to
create and destroy windows, draw lines, text, etc. and to receive
input events, etc.

The X server and the X client applications are often ran on the
same computer as is the case of a modern Linux desktop, and in
this case, the X application running on your computer talks to
the X server through a local UNIX socket.  Since X is network
transparent however, there is no requirement that the application
be ran on the local computer the X server is running on.  As long
as a remote host computer has the necessary X libraries and other
libs that the X applications need to run installed, you can run
remote X applications and have them display over the network to a
local display.  The X11 protocol is what passes over the wire, be
it ethernet, or be it a local UNIX socket.

There are a variety of ways in which one can run remote X
applications using the native X11 protocol, but by far the
easiest method is to do so by using ssh with X11 forwarding,
which is enabled by default in Red Hat Linux.  In order to run
any X application on a remote computer, simply open up a local
shell in gnome-terminal/konsole/xterm/etc. and ssh to the remote
host, then type in the name of any X application.  Assuming the
remote ssh server is configured to the Red Hat supplied default
settings of allowing X11 forwarding, then depending on the speed
of your network connection, the X application should pop up on
your display.

This feature of X is one of the things that was designed right
into the core of X from the very start, and is one of X's
greatest advantages over other GUI systems like Windows for
example.  ssh just makes it a whole heck of a lot easier.

If the above does not work, perhaps the ssh server or client is
disabling X11 forwarding by default.  In this case, invoke it as
"ssh -X remotehost.com" instead.

Hope this helps.