Re: Running X on servers in really plain language...

On 11:26 07 Dec 2002, Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> wrote:
| On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 09:19:08AM -0700, Jim Christiansen wrote:
| > Ok, so what I'm understanding is that a linux host system without X
| > installed can be accessed from another computer, remotely, using ssh and its
| > X system to operate an X session from the host?
|
| You need the X applications on the host, but they can display on the
| remote X server, so you don't need an actual X server on the host.

Also, if you're just using console apps (as I mostly do, mozilla aside)
you can run them in local xterms, thus:

	xterm -e ssh otherhost

And so forth. If the remote system is actually remote (eg I'm accessing
a home system from work) then this is a great bandwidth saver, as you're
sending just tty traffic (typing and text) over the (compressed) ssh link,
instead of X traffic which is fundamentally bulkier.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

>From a programmer's point of view, the user is a peripheral that types
when you issue a read request.	- Peter Williams