Re: OpenOffice for .doc links on webpages (was Re: Netscape browser)

Hi Ryan,

Lot of thanks for your detail advice and time spent.

I tell you the whole story which is rather funny:

I need to open and read a Microsoft word document on Internet which is
attached to a webmail

I performed following experiment.  Prepared a table on OfficeXP word and
sent it as attachment to following websites respectively:

lycos.com
yahoo.com
hotmail.com

I used both Konqueror and Mozilla as browser for this test.  The final
outcome is as follows:

Konqueror:
lycom.com       table can be opened and read correctly with a click
yahoo.com       table can be opened and read correctly with a click
hotmai.com      table has to be saved to a folder first before
opening/reading

Mozilla:
lycom.com       table can be opened and read correctly with a click
yahoo.com       table has to be saved to a folder first before reading
hotmai.com      table can be opened and read correctly with a click

(Remark: Kword and OpenOffice are applications to open the table)

When it came to Netscape I met with the difficulty that the plugin grey
out (about:plugins showed it was there).  I selected OpenOffice as
application to open the table.  A click on the table (webmail
attachment) started OpenOffice but only an empty document displayed.

I have been searching around for assistance

B.Regards
Stephen Liu

(Remark: My boss doesn't want to save and then open method)