RE: accessing the rdh8.0 desktop via ssh

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 15:43, Bruce Douglas wrote:

> new to linux. i've configured a server with rh8.0. i'm curious as to how one
> might go about configuring/setting up the server so i can remotely access
> the server and display the kde/gnome desktop.

To display the entire desktop (similar to how you'd see terminal
services or PC Anywhere) you want to use VNC.  However, if you don't
need/want the whole desktop and just want to run X apps remotely you can
do that too (but this needs more bandwidth).  To enable the remote
display of X apps do "ssh -X servername" as another poster suggested.
Then just run the X command name at the prompt.  The processing will be
done on the remote machine but all the display information is sent to
your local display [1].

VNC is a little harder to setup but is more of a "virtual screen" and a
more bandwidth friendly protocol.  On the server you want the
"vnc-server" RPM installed and on the client you want the "vnc" RPM
installed.  On the server you need to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers to
suit (there are directions in the file, follow them) and then start the
VNC server service:
# /sbin/service vncserver start

Then you can use your Linux or Windows VNC client of choice to access
it.  I highly suggest reading the VNC documentation.  Note that VNC is
not secure by default so you shouldn't do this across an untrusted
network unless you know what you are doing.  Also, if you are running
with a firewall you might (probably) need to open up the ports VNC uses
on the server.  This is only a very high-level sort of explanation of
VNC intended to get you pointed in the right direction...

Hope that helps.

Sean

[1] In X parlance the "server" is the machine displaying the apps, the
"client" is the program that is displaying to the "server".  Thus,
XFree86 (the environment that displays all the graphics when you sit at
a Linux box) is an "X server" and when you run (for instance) mozilla it
is the "X client".  Of course, the client and the server can run on the
same computer but they don't have to because X was designed with
networking in mind.  That's why/how the first option above works.