Password authentication issue / Apache 2.0

Have run into an interesting problem with username
athentication in Apache 2.0. Don't know why since I
have followed the syntax I have always followed which
worked with out an issue.

This is what I have in my httpd.conf file in a Virtual
Host so I can keep it away from my dmz host.

# BTW, The names of the real files have been changed
# to protect the innocent penguin's that I will
# place my super secret files into.
<Directory "/var/www/secret" >
   AllowOverRide All
   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile httest
   Authname "Super Secret Site, Trust Me!"
   require valid-user
</Directory>

Then I created a simple file with htpasswd with a user
named admin whose password is admin to test this
configuration.

Created with htpasswd -c /var/html/secret/httest admin
my file "httest" looks like

admin:.cz.qh01LXwVY
brooks:brooks

Well, I went to test it, got the username and password
requester and entered admin and ***** ( aka admin ). I
then created brooks with a plaintext password. It did
not work either.

It did like any of my passwords at all. I was rejected.
( snif snif )

I have checked and rechecked my syntax, so I know it is
correct.

I suspect my authentication is getting messed up
somehow, but pam is still elusive to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brooks Kelley
RHCE or bust! ( well, now that I know it will not be as
bad as $2,900, I do feel less like I am going to go
bust -- maybe I will just have one made after I pass
the exam )