Re: Why you should not buy Promise products if you use Linux

Hi

I checked some things out and from what I can tell, the 3Ware card is the best overall with linux support, and is priced well. The card has a cpu on board that handles the I/O so the cpu on your motherboard doesn't have to. I believe it has a scsi driver and works like a scsi raid controller. 3Ware also has software for linux to monitor and maintain the raid using a browser, and can be configured to email someone if there are any problems. At ~ $120 US for an IDE RAID 0,1,10,5,JBOD controller that supports hotswap and hotspare it is a great deal. I will certainly be getting 3Ware in the future and maybe even just to replace some other solutions we are currently using.

Guy

Dan de Haan wrote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone here used the Adaptec 2400A? Is this also
a "software" RAID card?

I haven't used it, but It is a hardware RAID card. There was a article
published recently comparing soe hardware RAID cards, including the 2400A.
You can see it at: http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/ideraid/index.x?pg=1

-Dan