boot errors after switching to USB mouse

After switching my MS optical wheel mouse from PS2 port to USB I am seeing an error during bootup right after the USB stuff is initialized; "insmod /libpath/block/xd.o failed" --that's not really the message but it's close.
This error does not show up in messages but what does show up is this; " localhost kernel: XD: Loaded as a module.".
As far as I can tell xd.o is an XT disk driver so what does it have to do with anything and what's causing it to be probed?

Thanks,
Joshua