Kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0 and Hardware issue

Hi all,
on this mail there is a description of an kernel/hardware related issue.
I just would like to inform kernel developers at redhat; please advise
if I'm posting on the wrong list.

After a week or so of random lookups/resets (with no oops of any kind)
and a lot of empiric debugging (mainly looking at hardware issues) I
discovered that my Compacq Deskpro has a bulk PII 400 processor (not the
one boxed by Intel) wich wasn't fixed too well to the mainboard. Each
time the case (or the desk) got hitted, the box either had a sudden
reset or a complete freeze.
I fixed with a piece of paper the processor, and now it looks less
sensitive to "tremors", but with the updated kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0 (Red
Hat 8.0 updated from 7.3) if I hit the CPU the PC freezes/resets.
I then switched back to the previous kernel 2.4.18-17.8.0, and the
problem is gone, I can even tap on the CPU with no problems at all.
Any suggestion/fix?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Lorenzo (aka Vasdna)

P.S. I just had Evolution eating up all free and swap memory and then
crashed... the amazing thing is that after 10 minutes of system freeze I
now have plenty of RAM... usually my 160M of memory is full, now I have
almost 50% of free RAM! Do you know what happened, and how to have more
RAM on my box?