Re: Calling all KDE fans!!

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Aaron Konstam wrote:

>Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:49:03 -0600
>From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam@Trinity.Edu>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Calling all KDE fans!!
>
>On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:40:42PM +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>> Viestissä Keskiviikko 27. Marraskuuta 2002 04:14, Aaron Konstam kirjoitti:
>> > The above method seems to be the correct one however, let me say this is
>> > quite a pain compared to the GNOME method.
>>
>> You can also drag and drop applications to the panel from the menu or from
>> Konqueror. I don't know what method GNOME uses, but I can't really imagine
>> anything simpler.
>>
>You can only drag things for a menu that are in the menu. For some reason a
>version ago RedHat dropped xterm from the menus.

2 reasons I can think of.

1) Reduce menu clutter.  The menus are widely perceived to be
heavily cluttered with a plethora of applications.  This is very
confusing in particular to new users, who really do not know what
app they want, and just see a huge mishmash of random
applications with funny names.

2) xterm is 'provided' as-is, however it is not 'supported'.  Our
supported terminal emulators are gnome-term and konsole.  Rather
than removing *all* unsupported apps, we have tried to find a
balance between removing some duplication, and still providing
some alternatives albeit unsupported, just for convenience.
We've removed things like xterm3d, rxvt, colorxterm, nxterm, etc.
for example.  xterm itself being a long standing traditional
legacy app provided by the X window system itself, I've decided
to keep as I know many people do in fact use it and would much
rather it be provided unsupported, than removed entirely.

We need to provide a useable desktop that has less clutter than
prior releases, and part of that is removing some of the
applications that have similar functionality from the menus.
Users are always free to add new entries to the menus if they
prefer, and are encouraged to do so.

Hope this helps to understand.

TTYL