Re: Why you should not buy Promise products if you use Linux

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, JUSTIN GERRY wrote:

>I've been using SCSI RAID arrays for almost three years now, different
>controllers, different RAID setups and I've never run across such a
>poorly supported/designed product.

Those were likely true hardware RAID cards.

>I really wish that Promise would decide to either support Linux or not.
>Don't walk the line and claim to support it but give a cold shoulder and
>a half-hearted response to end users. </rant>
>
>I guess I'm off to try the Adaptec 2400A, looks like the source is
>released for that card.
>
>Then again I probably should have stuck with RedHat's software based
>RAID, I've had a server running that for over a year with no problems to
>date.

Well, technically the Promise FastTrak is nothing more than a
standard IDE controller, with software RAID built into the BIOS.
It is not a hardware RAID card.  So, Linux drivers for this card
are merely software RAID either cloning the BIOS in a Linux
driver, or actually executing the BIOS code.  In either case,
tests between the Linux md driver software RAID and the Promise
FastTrak's firmware RAID consistently show the Linux md driver to
be superior in performance.

The Promise hardware RAID issues aside, is a really decent IDE
controller IMHO, but the Ultra series of cards are identical
hareware wise and a lot cheaper.  The only difference between the
Ultra and the FastTrak seems to be the card's BIOS I am told.

Hope this info helps.