system shuts off power when I startx (?!)

Running RH 8.0, with all the patches that the little red check mark has warned me about.

I came in one afternoon to find my system powered off, and pushing the power button did no good. Took it in for diagnosis, and was called back: it worked for them.

Sure enough, I went in, and there it sat. I've backed things I can't reinstall up to CD-R...but now I'm finding out a little more about the symptoms.

When I log in and startx (call me paranoid; I start up in text mode), the Redhat splash window appears and things grind for a while as usual...and then the system abruptly powers off. I have to unplug before I can turn it back on. OK...is it the graphics card, or the NVidia driver I downloaded? Perhaps...so I log in as someone else and startx. No problem.

So...something about how my X or Gnome session starts up is making the system unceremoniously shut off the power. Because it does that, checking the session log isn't going to find anything. Once I send this out, I will grab memtest86 and see whether my RAM is OK.

Any suggestions would be welcome. How can I go back to the way that my X and Gnome sessions are initially set up for me?

James Jones