Re: Odd behavior with ls about colors

Ryan Camick <ryan@endless.eu.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 12:21, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I wondered if this is caused by local setting:
>>
>> Phenomena I observe is when i call `ls' on a directory I see the
>> symlinks in my chosen color of cyan.  However if I call
>>   `ls .misc-snippets'
>>
>> Or any dot file that is a symlink it doesn't appear in
>> cyan, but in default color.
>>
>> If I call it like `ls -l .dot-file, then the cyan appears
>>
>> Going to a 7.3 machine I have running I see a direct ls like:
>>   `ls .misc-snippets' does show the cyan.
>
> [~]$ mkdir test
> [~]$ cd test
> [test]$ ln -s ../.gnome-desktop
> [test]$ ls -al
> Works for me here.  Symlink to .gnome-desktop shows in cyan as you
> describe.

That isn't what I described.  What you did works the same for me.
You called `ls' on a directory.  The phenomena I described only shows
itself when `ls' is called directly on a dot file.

Now try:
  `cd test'
 (List the symlink directly [by name] as I described)

 ls .gnome-desktop  (NOTE: no -al)

Does it show cyan?

On the 7.3 I mentioned .. it does.
But not on the 8

> Also compare DIR_COLORS to your RH7.3 system, and note that RH8 has an
> additional file, DIR_COLORS.xterm.  Finally, you can check the
> environment variable which ultimately contains this info (LS_COLORS),
> comparing it also to RH7.3

.dir_colors is imported from the 7.3 machine