Help w/Built by ATI Radeon Card

I am still having serious difficulties with the ATI driver.  Can someone
please outline what steps they have used to install the driver and have
it work?  I have a full install of RH8 on this machine with an:
Amd 1.4 chip
512 megs ddr
2 - IDE Harddrives ( 1 - 40 gig, 1 - 120 gig)
I am Running RH8 Kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0.

When I run the rpm command I receive the conflict with XFree86-Mesa-4.x,
so I follow the instructions and remove that package by running a rpm -e
--nodeps "package name".
Then I run the rpm -Uhv "ati package".  I always receive a tainted
kernel error.  I run the glxinfo command and I still see the Mesa
driver, if I run the fgrlxconfig and go through that process it
completes properly.  But once I reboot the X server fails and states it
didn't find any appropriate hardware.  Then I have to rerun xconfig and
let X pick a config that will work.
In Gnome if I run the x configurator, it shows the card as a ATI 9000
w/driver vesa.  But 3d is grey out so I cannot select it.  I have
rebuilt this system several times over the last few days to no avail.  I
am pretty sure this is a configuration problem and not a driver issue as
I have not found any posts of other people having problems.  Can anyone
advise where my problem may be, besides being Linux challenged?  All
help is greatly appreciated as I am a amateur Linux fan so my experience
level isn't very deep.  Thanks Phil