Re: your session lasted for less than 10 seconds

Pavle, thanks, but I have not found any .Xclients* files on my machine.
It happened when I was exploring the effect of the Ctrl+Alt+Fn keys and tried starting X-windows on the same terminal as screen 1. And then choosing by mistake Reboot before I even had chance to try to close screen 0.
I fixed the problem temporarily by selecting option 3 in /etc/inittab (booting into multiuser mode). I can now use X-windows, invoking startx, at least in my user account, but still not as root! When I try invoke startx as a root, it exits without giving any reason/errors.

By the way, that message actually contains at least one typing error
"your session lasted for less THEN 10 seconds ...", and then says something about installation errors (none were reported during installation) or the lack of memory (that's not my case), so that was not very helpful.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Mirek

Pavel Rozenboim wrote:
It happened to me once after I used switchdesk, to switch desktop
environment only on specific display. If that's what you did, remove
.Xclients* in your home dir.

Pavel.