Re: iptables -P INPUT REJECT

> On the contrary, you leave everything open and try to close specific
> ports and protocols. This is error-prone because it is easy to
> overlook something unless you place catch-all DROP-rules at the end of
> every chain. But judging from your comment on passive FTP, it
> seems you don't.

Your point is definately valid, yes you do have to use a catch all or
catch most - but then again you don't have to use this catch all to drop
packets and there are things that you can do w/ a catch all in IpTables that
you can't do w/ a default policy.

Here is the insecurity of a basic DROP all that I see, many administrators
feel in sufficent to just DROP the packet.  Welll guess what if you
drop the packet it still comes up in different types of port scans hence a
REDIRECT to VAPOR wouldn't return anything and it would also irritate the
hell out of those port scanning your machine :), yes you could achieve
the desired affect w/ a default DROP - both ways are possible to produce
good FW's.

And yes I do understand you point about missing something.
As believe I had said before DROP & ACCEPT default are both valid,
and maybe my arg. about resources is invalid but so be it, my FW
is fine :)