Re: newbie having problems editing files

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, David Mascot wrote:

>As an example to my editing problems,
>the following is a file I think I should
>have access to but I can't seem to get in.
>
>[dmascot@localhost dmascot]$ su
>Password:
>[root@localhost dmascot]# /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

Try "pico /etc/fonts/fonts.conf".  Other editors besides pico include
vi, emacs, joe.

>bash: /etc/fonts/fonts.conf: Permission denied
>[root@localhost dmascot]#

The shell thinks that you think that file is an executable, either a
binary or a shell-script.  In order to edit it you'll have to pass the
filename as an argument to one of the editor programs as given in the
example above, or open the file using the OpenOffice.org editor which
has the "pen 'n' letter" icon on the panel.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley