Is your video card Built/Powered by ATI, and why should you care...

We all know Mike Harris knows his stuff, but here is independent
confirmation about the "Built by ATI"/"Powered by ATI" controversy we
had on psyche-list a few days ago (prior to Mike's retreat from the
unneeded abuse he was subjected to). This is specifically about ATI's
new closed drivers for the 8x00/9x00 series cards. I personally think
the difference between "Built" and "Powered" is more than just a PCI
subsystem ID, and that is probably why the current XFree86 drivers are
having some issues. BTW- I don't recommend video bios flashing, don't
come crying to me if you fubar it.

http://seneca.me.umn.edu/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2002-November/013461.html

Full text follows in case of slashdot effect...

[Flightgear-devel] ATI vs. Linux
Andy Ross  flightgear-devel@flightgear.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:23:14 -0800

Probably most of you noticed last week that ATI has released a unified
linux driver package for all of their 8x00/9x00 cards.  I've been
wanting to try one of these for a long time, but have been a little
scared of the DRI drivers which are still maturing.  This was a good
excuse to buy a cheap ($70) Radeon 8500LE and try it.

The short report is that it works and seems to run FlightGear very
well, but I wouldn't recommend buying one purely for their Linux
drivers.  Stay with NVidia for now.  Continue reading for the story of
compatibility hell.

Background: ATI's business model differs from NVidia in that they
manufacture and market their own circuit boards, not just the graphics
chips.  Mostly.  They actually *do* sell the chips to OEMs, who market
third party Radeon-compatible boards.  In their marketing parlance,
their own boards are "Built by ATI", while third parties sell "Powered
by ATI" hardware.  Most of the low end mail order cards are of this
type; ATI's hardware seems to be sold mostly off of store shelves.  In
practice, this doesn't make much difference.  While some OEMs might
skimp on parts or use cheap memory, most don't, and the hardware is
100% software compatible.  ATI's windows drivers have always worked
equally well for OEM hardware and "Built by ATI" cards.

Except their Linux drivers.  For reasons unknown, the recently
released drivers do an explicit check to see that they are running on
"built by" hardware, and exit if they find a "powered by" card.  Guess
which one I bought?  Not that I could tell -- I ordered a "ATI Radeon
8500LE 64MB" card from a mail order vendor.  There is no information
in the distribution channel to indicate what you are getting.  Nor is
there any documentation on ATI's site that the linux drivers only work
on "pure" hardware.  So I'm SOL.  ATI clearly says on their website
that Radeon 8500's are supported, but in reality most Radeon 8500
cards are *not* supported.  Someone lied to me.

But nothing is ever unfixable.  Remember that the hardware really is
software compatible (the DRI drivers and Windows drivers don't care
what they are running on).  It turns out that the "OEMness" of the
card is stored in the PCI subsystem ID, and that value is defined in
the card's BIOS code.  And the BIOS can be flashed.

So I'm off to the realm of the hardware modder and overclocker.  It
turns out that utilities are available to put a retail BIOS into an
OEM card, which will defeat the stupid version check.  I found one at
http://www.xcl-clan.com/ -- woo hoo.  Except that it's a DOS program.
Remember that I'm a Linux guy.  I have no DOS, nor FAT partition, nor
even a floppy drive in this machine.  So after a few hours finding and
burning a FreeDOS CD and figuring out how to get a ramdisk working,
I'm golden.  The card has new BIOS, and it works, and the steam coming
out of my ears hadn't yet caused any major burns.  Yay.  Apparently
some people enjoy this stuff...

In summary: unless you are 100% sure that your card is a "built by"
variant (which basically means that you have to have purchased it in a
dark red ATI box at a retail store), are happy with gray market stuff
like BIOS reflashing, or absolutely *must* have one of the
super-high-end super-expensive 9700 cards (for which no alternatives
exist), stay away from Radeon cards for Linux.  The technical decision
to cut off perfectly working hardware is pure idiocy, and the
marketing scheme that makes it impossible for a consumer to tell the
difference between supported and unsupported products is downright
dishonest.

It's not that the drivers themselves are poor quality, or that I think
ATI is actually trying to abuse its customers.  But this driver
release is just not good.  Between them, the ATI marketing,
engineering and manufacturing people have turned a fairly standard
software release into a bloody, frothing mess.  Give them another
release to fix the release stupidities (or at least document their
hardware limitations) and hopefully things will get better.

And the competition isn't even close, anyway.  Except at the very high
end, the NVidia hardware and drivers are just as fast, just as cheap,
and (most importantly) just work.

I'm going to give the DRI stuff a whirl tonight.  It lacks a lot of
the fancier hardware features (programmable shaders), but FlightGear
doesn't use them anyway.  After last night's experience, I'd honestly
give up 10-20% in performance to not have to use the ATI dreck.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA

Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
                                  aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606