Re: A boot CD instead of a floppy boot disk

On Wed Nov 27 2002 at 22:05, Mel Seder wrote:

> I can burn an iso and its bootable.  I'm not sure if its bootable
> because of the iso or because of something cdrecord does.

Not with cdrecord, but with mkisofs (see the man page).

> I'd like to use a CD instead of a floppy to boot with in the event that
> something happends to grub or the boot section of the MBR.  How do I
> create such a "magical" CD?

Make sure that your BIOS is configured to boot from you cdrom.

Put the first redhat installer cd in, reboot, then from the
installer do "linux rescue".

After that, you can chroot to your installation on the hard drive(s)
and re-install grub from there.

Cheers
Tony