Re: MP3s don't work

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 08:20, Marc Murphy uttered:
> Using the standard install I've tried playing my MP3s with the xmms
> included.  Only one of them plays and it plays perfectly.  The rest
> can't even be listed.  The files are stored on a Windows partition I am
> accessing by mounting vfat.  Has anyone else run into this problem?

Please read the release notes.

mp3 technology is patented, and this patent doesn't allow for the sale of any
software that includes mp3 technology, without paying a fee to the owners of
the patent.  Such a patent is incompatable with the GPL, and for this reason,
Red Hat has decided to not include mp3 support in their distro.  To do so
would be unethical, and quite possible illegal.

You can however still obtain OSS media players or player plugins that support
mp3 playback/encoding.  Be carefull though, as anybody who tries to apply GPL
to mp3 technology obviously doesn't understand the GPL well enough.

--
Jesse Keating
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: