RE: RH8 driver nv and new monitor

>Message: 8
>Subject: RE: RH8 driver nv and new monitor
>From: James McArthur <james@pcorp.com.au>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Date: 26 Nov 2002 10:58:38 +0930

<snip>

>Yesterday, I removed the drive from my Gateway Athlon machine (with a
>RadeonQD) and placed it into a new Dell Dimension 4550.

James: Our box with the Nvidia chip is a Dell Dimension 4300.

>Kudzu detected the video card as an NVidia Geforce4MX (correct), but
>installed the vesa (!!) driver.

Ours has an Nvidia GeForce2 MX 400 chip on it.

I didn't pay a lot of attention, since we don't own a GeForce4 MX card, but it seems like it isn't supported by X, if my memory hasn't failed me completely. There were a lot of messages about the Driver one can download from the nvidia web site recently, on the Valhalla list or this list. That's probably why the VESA driver was installed by the X configurator for your box. I think it has to do with Red Hat does not supply anything the Source code is not available for and is not GPL.

Lanny in Cali, Colombia, South America