Re: Distros are all good (was: Re: A few things who still suckinRedHat 8 aka constructive criticism

No offense meant, but why exactly are you posting to the psyche list?

>>> anthonyabby@aplusdata.com Saturday, November 23, 2002 1:23:01 PM >>>
On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 14:14, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> > > 	Good luck.  You might want to look at SuSE as well.
> >
> > I switched to Mandrake 9 about a month ago and have been nothing but
> > happy.  It's great!
>
> 	FWLIW, I have found that if you use any of the major distros you really
> won't go wrong.  Even some of the "lesser" distros like Gentoo or Lunar
> Linux and Vector or Arch Linux and even the Lycoris and Xandros[*]
> distros are all very good.  Heck, the "Roll Your Own" projects are very
> useful.

Generally I think all the major distros are basically the same.  What's
different is the philosophy under which they're created.  Until Redhat
8.0, I was a tried and true Redhat supporter.  Loved Redhat, but what
they did to KDE really turned me off.  After installing 8.0 I tried
restoring KDE to it's true appearance and just found it to be too much
work.  I prefer a distro that works more in harmony with KDE/Gnome
instead of taking sides, and then melding them both to suit its own
particular self.

That's why I chose to migrate to Mandrake.  Mandrake can do everything
Red Hat can do, obviously, but I like how they paid very close attention
to their all inclusive control center.  You can do everything on the
system from a single application.. which is really nice.  Not to mention
they support KDE and haven't mucked with it.  Just a very nice
experience all around.

Anthony