Re: sbin and /usr/sbin

On 19:31 23 Nov 2002, Martin Stricker <shugal@gmx.de> wrote:
| Tommy McNeely wrote:
| > in /etc/profile, I have had to comment out the "if" and "fi" lines to
| > make the "sbin" paths automatically be part of a "users" path.. (like
| > for traceroute)...  why do I have to do this??
|
| Because for security issues only root should be able to run them. Some
| sbin programs only work correctly if run by root.

Feh. They should be _harmless_ if run by nonroot.  It's generally safe
for mortal users to have them available, and often useful. Chuck 'em at
the _end_ of $PATH if it bothers you.

| > just cause its in the sbin path does not mean that only root can run
| > it... sbin is for "static-binaries" right??
|
| No, system binaries.

These days, maybe. In older times, it did mean static - these binaries
would run before the shared libraries in /usr were available. It may
as well mean "standalone", because these are basic tools that must work
when little of the system is active or available.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself. - Aragorn son of Arathorn