Re: sbin and /usr/sbin

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Tommy McNeely wrote:
>
> >in /etc/profile, I have had to comment out the "if" and "fi" lines to make
> >the "sbin" paths automatically be part of a "users" path.. (like for
> >traceroute)...  why do I have to do this??
> >
> ># Path manipulation
> >#if [ `id -u` = 0 ]; then
> >        pathmunge /sbin
> >        pathmunge /usr/sbin
> >        pathmunge /usr/local/sbin
> >#fi
> >

> >just cause its in the sbin path does not mean that only root can run it...
> >sbin is for "static-binaries" right??
>
> /sbin and /usr/sbin have never been part of a user's path in
> traditional Unix and Linux systems.  While some distributions may
> possibly put these directories in users paths by default, it is
> by no means a standard.

i have, for a long time, *personally* added /sbin and /usr/sbin to
my own non-root account search path, so that i can run commands like
"ifconfig" and "mount" just to *display* that info.

i've always felt that having /sbin and /usr/sbin as part of a
non-root search path was convenient; however, i've also always
felt that it's a decision that should be left to the users and
not added at the system-wide config level.

rday

p.s.  if that was totally confusing, it means i'm agreeing
with mike.  i think.

Robert P. J. Day, RHCE, RHCI
Eno River Technologies, Chapel Hill NC
Unix, Linux and Open Source corporate training

http://www.linux-migration.org