quit whining

I have only been using Linux since this past spring.  I decided to get invovlved in the opensource community for several reasons.
1-I am a teacher and a single parent and I just could not financially keep up with Micro$lop's mercenary upgrade schedules.
2-The principles of sharing, community support and innovation appeal to me.
3-I wanted to learn more about computers than simply how to use M$ software.
I have tried several distributions (Blue Linux, Debian-based Corel, Lycoris and the Red Hat based k12ltsp version, and now, Psyche).  The ones I have stuck with most have been the k12ltsp, which was a RH 7.2 based project, and, now Psyche.  They have allowed me, in a very short time period, to upgrade to linux from M$.  I now do 99% of what I previously did in Doze on my 'nix box, plus, I have acquired software that does literally hundreds of more things without spending any significant money.   The Red Hat interfaces have proven familiar enough to make me comfortable in moving, and things mostly work right out of the box.  I have learned many things about fixing issues and about personalizing and configuring my RH box.  Both Red Hat and the Red Hat users community have simplified these things.  I use my computer to create and edit documents for school and other purposes, manipulate photos and create art (I am an amateur photographer and artist), create and edit web pages, a!
ccess the internet for research and pleasure, communicate via e-mail, irc and instant messaging, participate in various online communities, and many more things. I am also acquiring my Master in Library and Information Sciences in an online distance education program. I have been able to do all of these things with only a little learning in Red Hat.  I can say in all truth that I now can do far more on my machine than I could running Doze98se. I, for one, am very happy about Red Hat and even about the progress I have seen it make in only the very short time that I have been using it.  In fact, I spent less time learning to get up to speed with Red Hat than I did with doze!
So, why is everyone whining?
The very few issues I still have are not Red Hat's fault:
1-my scanner does not work in Linux.  The manufacturer is to blame here.
2-having difficulty burning music cd's. (mp3's)
3-Have not yet figured out how to run a database app. on one machine (not server/client). (Okay, on this one, why don't they make Tora configure upon install to do this?)
4-some documentation is not written in plain English that I can follow--it assumes too much to be useful to some newbies without a strong tech background (I am an English teacher, not a computer science wiz).

I like Red Hat.

Tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!