Re: DELL Optiplex GX260 / 1702FP monitor / Intel i845 video...

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 07:34, Ken Kleiner wrote:
> Hello...
>
>   X11 doesn't seem to want to work on our latest DELL GX260 with a
> DELL Flat panel screen.
>
>   The system has a Intel i845 card in it, which the OS sees fine, and works
> well with a DELL 21" tube monitor (X and text).
>
>   We've tried plugging in a DELL FP1702 (flat panel) monitor into the system
> and running
>
> 	redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig --noui --verbose
>
>   This created what appears to be the proper entries in XF86Config, but
> X still crashes with server errors.
>
>   I've tried trying just a new install (booting off of RH 8.0 CD) and even
> choosing the 'text' install, but that yields a black output screen with
> the 'cannot display this video mode' message on the monitor (coming from
> the monitor).
>
>   Any ideas or working configs?
I have a Dell Dimension 4400, GeForce 4 MX 440, Dell 15in LCD, etc etc
and it worked fine on first go.  Find the native resolution, refresh
rate and no. colors of your LCD, and edit XF86Config to include that and
only that.  Remember LCDs don't support different resolutions like CRTs
do so it sounds like this may be stuffing you up.  For example, my LCD
has a native resolution of 1024x768, so this is all I use.  In section
monitor (on one line):

ModeLine     "1024x768"  78.80 1024 1040 1136 1312  768  769  772  800
+hsync +vsync

Note that these number may be different for you.
or in section display:

SubSection "Display"
  Depth     24
  Modes    "1024x768"
EndSubSection

Also, you could wait till you get to the 'cannot display this video
mode' message and try pressing ctrl-alt-keypadplus or
ctrl-alt-keypadminus a few times (waiting a second or so in between) and
see if a supported resolution appears.  You might need to find the
particular vertical and horizontal refresh rates and put these into
XF86Config.

You could also post the output from X when it tries to start up.  That
would help.
Regards,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
"We Americans, we're a simple people... but piss us off, and we'll bomb