Re: Suggestions for increasing speed on an older (but not ancient) machine.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:40:53AM -0600, Hal Watson wrote:

> I'm new to linux.  I thought I would install Redhat 8.0 on my windows
> PC and see what all the fuss was about.

[snip]

> My hardware is a Pentium II - 350, with 128mb ram.  My video card is
> nothing special, maybe 8mb ram.

Since you're new to Linux, I would have expected that you start by
reading the hardware requirements for the version you're trying to
install.  The *minimum* is 128MB RAM, with a recommended 192MB for
graphics use.  Please see
http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/

Your platform is adequate for a text-mode installation, but for running
the desktop, you should add memory.

> The default Gnome setup seemed kinda slow - so I gave KDE a try and
> that definitely seems faster on my machine and coming from my background
> it feels a little easier to use as well.  But I'm not satisfied yet.
> Compared to the Win98 experience, I feel like I'm jogging with a 50
> pound backpack.  I can do it but it doesn't stay fun for long.

You're not comparing apples to apples here. Win98 is essentially a
single-user desktop with minimal support for anything else.  Try to run
Win2K or XP and see how bad it is.  This is especially true if you
install all the comparable Windows applications that you installed with
your Linux install (office suite, a whole suite of development
languages, X server, web server, batch and print queueing subsystem, etc.)

> I'm wondering what my next step should be - It would be fairly easy and
> not too expensive to drop another 128mb ram into this machine.  Will KDE
> (or Gnome for that matter)  and the underlying OS take advantage of this
> extra ram?  Would more ram, combined with using leaner applications do
> the trick?

Memory management on Linux is comparable to memory management on any
real operating system that supports virtual memory - more memory helps.
It doesn't suffer from the resource limitations that Win98 does.  Even
WinNT and XP do a much better job of memory management than 98 does.

So definitely yes, more memory does help and is recommended as per the
Red Hat documentation above.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA