Re: Dist. Suggestions

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 05:14, David Durst wrote:
> Does anyone support the IDEA of dist. NON-GPL software on a seperate CD???
> I think it would make alot of people much happier if they didn't have to
> go reading through mailing lists to find out how to get a Netgear wireless
> NIC
> to work under 8.0.  Along w/ that is there is a serious need for a
> Directory Service so it is just a thought.

Debian has a whole tree of what they call non-free software that is not
part of the official disto, but provided for people who want it.  SuSE
has an entire section of software in their "commercial" series that
comes with their distro and can be installed with YaST2 like any GPL
program.  Then, there are distos that make no distinction between
commercial and GPL software like Lycoris and Lindows.

I've used every major distro out there and I think you'll find things to
like and dislike about every one.  Since I don't use Windows at all, I
tend to spend a lot of time tweaking my system to be exactly what I
want.  With some distros, the amount of work I need to do is higher than
with others.

Red Hat does ship with a directory service, the old reliable NIS.  While
OpenLDAP will work fine for login authentication, I don't think it
supports NFS netgroups yet and probably some other things you might
want.  On the other hand, NIS is not considered very secure and is
showing some age.  If you want a modern directory, Novell's NDS is
supposed to run natively on Linux now but I've never tried it, and of
course, it is not free in any sense.

Best Regards,
Keith
--