Re: SCSI tape drive

Robert,

You don't indicate how much data you need to back up at any one time.
That's probably your most important consideration.

I know of at least four major types of cartridge-type SCSI tape drives.
With a supported SCSI host adapter (most important!), Red Hat 8.0 should
support at least the first two:

DLT			Very fast, expensive, high capacity
DAT		4mm	Fast, reasonable, moderate capacity
OnStream	ADR	Fast, reasonable, moderate capacity, rare
AIT		8mm	Seriously fast, very expensive, huge capacity

DDS-3 12/24G and DDS-4 20/40G 4mm DAT drives and cartridges offer the
best capacity/cost. DLT drives and cartridges are faster and bigger, but
are usually much more expensive than DAT.

The recording speed of an SCSI tape drive depends a lot on its
interface. A drive with a 68-pin wide interface will usually perform
better than a classic 50-pin SCSI-2 interface. An Ultra2 interface
allows a 200G AIT drive to really scream.

My personal choice for most situations is the Seagate Scorpion 24 with
DDS-3 cartridges. MSRP is $675 for ann internal drive and $12.80 per
cartridge. Native DDS-3 capacity is 12G. Hardware compression allows up
to 24G. With compression enabled I can typically back up systems at a
sustained 7G/hour rate.

If you need absolute performance, an AIT-3 cartridge can hold up to 260G
and one AIT drive can back up data at a sustained rate of over
100G/hour.

Hope this helps...

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL