Re: A thought about psyche

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> up2date checks the Red Hat server for package information. It will happily
> skip downloading any updates if you point it to a directory containing
> the updated files.

That's no good. It goes against my bandwidth allocation, and prevents me
from benefiting from local mirrors that don't get charged against it.

People in Australia pay for connect time and/or download volume. My
account includes 4 Gbytes/month, and I pay $60/Gbyte for overruns.

Downloads from local sites (that is, via the WA Internet Exchange) do
not go against my allocation.

Needless to say, RH isn't connected to WAIX.

If I don't use up2date, and more particularly, if I don't use RHN I have
complete freedom to download from as much as I want from mirrors on
WAIX.

Even so, there are currently _NO_ official RH mirrors on WAIX whereas
there are at least two Debian mirrors.

I also have off-peak time where I can download anything from anywhere
and that's not charged to my allocation either.

If I were starting from scratch with RHL I may well look to combining
the use of mirrors with up2date, but it happens I had my existing
procedures in place, I think as far back as Hurricane.

I actually did try RHN when I was running (null). I wanted to get a list
of all possible updates, so I did an "install everything" (null)
install, registered, and then could never connect in order to get my
list of updates, and that despite trying repeatedly at short intervals
for a day or more.

I never have problems connecting to my favourite mirrors. Well, maybe
when there was a new release of Mandrake or RHL, but then I mostly use
rsync for that site anyway.