Re: bash and perl output of 'hello' with no \n doesn't work

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 01:34, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:50:03AM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > This isn't a bug.  You're not generating a final '\n' character,
> > and as such, when the program exits, and bash goes to display the
> > prompt, it overwrites the 'hello' thus showing nothing.
> Mike, although I won't show you a reference to POSIX ;-), I consider

I doubt you'd find much useful in POSIX.

> it at least an "unfortunate regression".
> a) it worked for ages, and just using rpm --qf '%{arch}' was good enough
>    before

It was good enough to put a bunch of crap on one line that wasn't spaced
properly, and was otherwise completely unreadable.  At the end, your
prompt would be *somewhere* on the terminal...  When has it ever been
useful or acceptable to not generate newlines?  Seriously, how could you
possibly make sense of this output (which you yourself suggest):
rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME} %{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} %{ARCH}"

It was never "good enough" before.

> b) it makes information unavailable. If I had a program that took two
>    weeks to complete and didn't output the final '\n', I would be very
>    much disappointed ;-).

So would I... Disappointed that anyone who wrote a program that ran for
two weeks would a) write output to a terminal: the place it's MOST
LIKELY to be lost entirely, and b) didn't format the output to be
readable.

I'd probably be suspect enough to never trust the results enough to even
run the program a second time.  "rm -rf piss-poor-program"  :-)