Re: Demand-dial Router?

On Mon Nov 18 2002 at 07:47, "David Willson" wrote:

> I am trying to turn a Red Hat Linux 8.0 box into a demand-dial router
> (+NAT).  I have run into several holes in my knowledge:
>
> How do I make 'ppp1' the default route before it's even up, and/or how
> do I make it demand-dial?
> How do I insure that
>  - the nat module is inserted
>  - the 'MASQUERADE' rule is inserted
>  - and forwarding is turned on
> at boot time without intervention?

You don't the routing at bootup, but when the ppp link comes up.

And you can achieve what you want by hacking into
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local (see the pppd man page and /etc/ppp/ip-up).

Forwarding is turned up at bootup by changing this line in
/etc/sysctl.conf to be 1 and not 0...

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Then run /sbin/sysctl to enable it right away.  (It will then be
automatically done each bootup).

The relevant nat modules can be loaded with the ip_tables module by
adding something like this to /etc/modules.conf...

alias ipfwadm	off
alias ipchains	off
add above ip_tables	iptable_filter iptable_mangle iptable_nat ip_conntrack ipt_state ipt_unclean ipt_LOG ipt_limit
add above ip_conntrack	ip_conntrack_ftp ip_conntrack_irc
add above iptable_nat	ipt_MASQUERADE ip_nat_ftp

This might be overkill for your particular situation, so you'll
probably need to play around with it to get what you want.

BTW, all sorts of magic like this can be done in /etc/modules.conf,
the "add above" and "add below" are just two of the many spells that
can be cast in there.  The "post-install" and "pre-removal"
directives are also very useful.

> David Willson
> xMCT, MCSE, Network+, A+, Linux Enthusiast
> http://TheGeek.NU

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.
Cheers
Tony