The final word on evolution 1.2 rpm for 8.0

Okay guys,

I'm going to try and summarise all the thousands of messages about upgrading to
evolution 1.2 that I have sen here over the last week or so.

First off, people seem to think that getting the Ximian rpms for evo 1.2 is too
tricky because you need to have red carpet and other (apprent) Ximian cruft. So for
those who want a pure red hat solution read on.

You need to ensure 2 things before you start:

1) You need to download all the rpms from this site

	http://people.redhat.com/katzj/evolution/RPMS/

   into one folder. Make sure all the rpms go into the same folder, and make sure there
   are no other rpms in that folder before hand (you'll see why later)

2) You need to have the GNOME development package installed to be able to upgrade
   from the standard (redhat 8.0) evolution version to the new one. Note that you don't
   actually need the GNOME development package to run the evolution version that comes
   with the redhat 8.0 cds, but for some reason, to upgrade you need to have several
   *devel rpms installed. Rather than try and figure out the dependencies I simply
   installed the default rpms with the GNOME development package using the GUI redhat
   package manager (Start Menu -> System -> Packages).

Once you have both points above completed simply do the following

- Kill all evolution related processes. (not sure if you actually need to do this).
  Simply type

	killev

  at a console (as root ofcourse).

- cd into the folder that holds all the evolution 1.2 rpms that you downloaded earlier
  and run the following command:

	rpm -Uvh *.rpm

So in summary you need to :
- Already have the redhat 8.0 GNOME development package installed.
- Download all files from the above URL into the one folder
- Stop all evolution related processes
- install all the rpms in the folder (that you downloaded) at once.

Hope that helps guys,

John BouAntoun