Playlists stops. More sound issues

Sorry if asked before, but had a problem with my list archives... I am quite a newbie too, so I'll try to get into the details I know of:

The problem is that my sound apps (any sound app) will sudenlly stop playng in between musics at an aparent random frequency. The thing is playng and then sudenly when switching files in the playlist (on xmms) it hangs with a message asking to check the configuration. During startup, I also have to wait about 1 minute before tryng to use sound, or thw app will acuse problems with /dev/dsp (not being there)... so much for leting it warm up :)
Does anyone have the same problem?

Possible cause: with soundcard detection on System Settings menu, it says I have a

Vendor: ESS technology
Model: ES1998 Allegro-1
Module: maestro3

Problem is that my actual soundcard is a Diamond S100. I dont know where to change it or check for the driver.
The machine is a custom Athlon 1ghz and a Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard.
I know its not crucial, but everything was ok on 7.3 and its really annoyng to be blasting a Nightwish album at full volume while I'm in the shower and sudenlly stay without my beloved music :)
Thanks in advance