Re: No boot after updating to kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0.athlon

On Sun Nov 17 2002 at 23:18, Jim Hayward wrote:

> Just a warning in case anyone else encounters this problem.
>
> After downloading and installing the new kernel update ,
> kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0.athlon.rpm, on reboot I was greeted by a text
> prompt with just the word GRUB. It would not take any keyboard input at
> the prompt. I ended up booting in rescue mode and reinstalling grub.
>
> The new kernel rpm did update /etc/grub.conf, but it apparently in some
> way screwed up grub. Might have been just a fluke, but I thought had
> better warn everyone about what happened. Strange. :-P

Hmm... it worked just fine for me.  (Although I did check grub.conf
before I rebooted, but it was fine anyway).

I did have to recompile some add-on drivers that I'm using... cdfs,
the nvidia driver, the alsa sound drivers, and some drivers for a
saa7134 (flyview) tv capture card.  So far it is all working very
nicely.

> Regards,
> 	Jim H

Cheers