Re: database front end gui

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Jesse Keating wrote:
> John <psyche@computerdatasafe.com.au> wrote:
> # I always never use the su command. This is so much more convenient a
> # way to root things:
>
> *blink* it's more convenient to ssh to your own box as root than to
> type: su - ?  oooo tay....

For X forwarding a connection back, a 'sudo su -' does not
carry the proper magic cookie back, particularly across
varying configurations of several intermediate hosts.  It is
fragile enough that John's method of sticking with ssh
forwarding turns out to work substantially better than the 'su
-' approach.

It should not matter, in theory, but there is that pesky
distance between theory and practice.

-- Russ Herrold