Re: CANADIAN Red Hat Road Tour?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert L. Cochran" <cochranb@speakeasy.net>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 18:21:15 -0500
Subject: Re: CANADIAN Red Hat Road Tour?

> Well, I didn't care too much about the hat (I already have 2 and lost a
> 3rd.) I'm a bit freaked not to have a t-shirt, but okay, I'll live
> without one. The 2-CD crippleware set of Red Hat made me yawn, since I
> have all 5 CD's tucked in my NFS directory. The keychain is nice, but I
> treasure the one my daughter gave me a few years ago. What really made
> me sad was that I didn't get a license-free, fully functional version of
> Red Hat Application Server and another license-free, fully functional
> version of Oracle 9i in exchange for my 3+ hours of driving (1 hour to
> the Road Tour event in Chantilly and 2 hours returning. The extra hour
> was courtesy of a massive traffic jam on Route 66 East.)
>
> And I'd certainly like to know more about the 2 people who sat to my
> left. I suspect they were Red Hat employees in disguise...how else can
> you get a shirt that says "Operation Cheetah Flip"...
>
> Bob Cochran
> Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
>

> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 16:59, Tom Diehl wrote:

> > Agreed, but it was nice to have a face to face meeting with the developers
> > and QA guys. FWIW I asked enough questions to get a Black "Red Hat" hat!! :-)
> > The road tour guys had REd Red Hat hats :-( They did not give out
> > T-Shirts in Phila.
> >
> > > I went to one last night (los angeles) and I think that Robert is correct,
> > > in fact if you hang out on these lists you may be a little disappointed
> > > with the tour if you're expecting to get amazingly detailed info.
> >
> > One thing they did in Phila was to break into 2 groups. Newbee and more
> > advanced. Since they did not have 2 rooms the "more advanced" group got to
> > stand outside in the cold, but it was still interesting.
> >
> > > I learnt three main things:
> > > 1. The GNOME-Start menu duplicate entries for mouse/keyboard configuration
> > > in SystemSettings and Preferences have confused lots of people and this
> > > layout will be changed.
> > >
> > > 2. Quite a few people are unhappy with the fact that the
> > > minimal-recommended memory usage for a graphical workstation is 192Mb.
> > > Someone (Dan Kegel?) pointed out that the rhn "throbber" in the panel uses
> > > 12Mb!
> > >
> > > 3. Don't go expecting to get a t-shirt (my main reason for attending!).
> > > Of an audience of approximately 45 there were three t-shirts.  The guy
> > > handing them out explained that their normal procedure is to give them to
> > > the people that ask the most questions.  Lots of disappointed people
> > > wandered off not quite consoled with the key-chain and demo-copy of Psyche
> > > (3 cdroms, contains no devel-libs).
> >
> > Hummm, My sample cd collection only had 2 cd's in it. Not of much use to me
> > actually. Just what I need a crippeled version of RHL 8.0.
> >
> > > All in all, it was interesting, but technically less so than this list,
> > > and the efficiency of discussion was lower.
> > >
> > > (Also I was really disappointed not to get a t-shirt!)
> >
> > It was after all a marketing tour. Sponsered by our friends at IBM.
> [...]

Gee ... all I wanted was a simple "YES" or "NO" to my
question. There is another thread running titled "RH
Road Tour", but all I see are discussions of different
types of beers.

I thought my question was _clearly_ stated.

... I guess I was wrong.

sincerely,

Elton Woo

P.S. I have PURPOSELY quoted the entire text of this thread, in the hopes that someone would point out where
*I* may have erred...

"We ALL should make life EASIER for each other."
  j.woo@sympatico,ca / eltwoo@linuxmail.org
ICQ User ID #149608718; Reg'd LINUX User #193975
http://www.linuxmail.org/