Re: Sound (volume control) from console terminal

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 21:18, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Probably some slick way of doing this but I'm drawing a blank here.
> How can I set the volume of any sound file?  I don't mean with gnome
> or something but from a console login.  Or at worst from xfce.
>
> grip has a nifty toggleable volume slide but it doesn't do any tbing.
> Xfce has a nifty appliance `xfsound.  Every time I try the `test'
> button it tells me:
>
>  xfsound: Sound format of file /usr/local/share/xfce/sounds/zap02.wav
>  is not supported by the sound device. The sound will not be played.
>  Format requested: sampleWidth=8 channelCount=1 frameRate=8000
>  Format supported: sampleWidth=16 channelCount=2 frameRate=8000
>

> I have sound, but a very low volume.  I can play cds but ny spearkers
> are not the kind with built in volume control.  I've never used sound
> with linux before although I've tinkered with linux for some years
> now.  Never really wanted sound when computing.
>
> Now I'm old and insane, and want to listen to blues while I compute.

I'm young, and have been know to listen to the blues in my time while
computing!

I run into the same problem, with my big box, it has a SoundBlaster
Live! and there is an "Output Gain" fader which I hadn't took any notice
of. I guess this controls the amplifier of the card.

I've always used aumix in a console for controlling volume.

--
NAME    :	Adam Allen.
EMAIL   :	adam@dynamicinteraction.co.uk

COMMENT :	~~~~ insert your favourite signature comment here ~~~~

PGP     :	http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=adam%40dynamicinteraction.co.uk