GNOME: Login Desktop Error

After logging in (using GNOME), I receive the
following message in a popup...

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings
Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background
settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon
next time you log in."

I can log in okay, however, several applications and
preferences are unavailable. I'm stumped as to how to
fix this one. Anyone else experience a similar problem?