RE: HP 4050TN - which driver?

Make sure you are using cups to print.  I would not be suprised if you could
drop a couple of these rpms.
[root@hephaistos root]# rpm -qa |grep cups
qtcups-devel-2.0-12
cups-libs-1.1.15-10
cups-drivers-1.9-1.20020617.6
cups-drivers-hpijs-1.9-1.20020617.6
cups-drivers-pnm2ppa-1.9-1.20020617.6
qtcups-2.0-12
cups-devel-1.1.15-10
cups-1.1.15-10

Next change your lpr and lpq service to use cups.

[root@hephaistos root]# alternatives --config print

There are 2 programs which provide 'print'.

  Selection    Command
*  1           /usr/bin/lpr.LPRng
 + 2           /usr/bin/lpr.cups

Enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2

Set cups to start on boot

[root@hephaistos root]# chkconfig --list |grep cups
cups            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
        cups-lpd:       on
[root@hephaistos root]# chkconfig --level 2345 cups on
[root@hephaistos root]# service cups restart
Stopping cups:                                             [  OK  ]
Starting cupsd:                                            [  OK  ]

Open your Favorite Browser goto http://localhost:631 and follow the
instructions for Adding printers.  Its a click fest.  Oh once you have your
print server up, it is trivial to set your server up to be browsable.  The
printers will auto-magically appear in the kde Control Center
System/Printing Manager of workstations.  If you are having trouble with
that trivial browseable setup check out the gear and wrench icon (configure
server) on the printing manager screen of the server.  Oh qtcups is a
windows like print manager gui that works great in X.  When you configure a
printer for Open Office be sure to use qtcups on the select command section
of the printer setup.

As for your original request HP is very good about backwards compatability.
I have had no problems with any of the 4050 drivers listed in cups and you
should be able to run most current HP laser jets with a 4M driver.