Evolution 1.2 and sound

So I figured the new sound-on-email feature was a great way to torment
people that work near my office.

It seems to only work on local/POP3 accounts, not IMAP. If I recall,
xbiff is the same way.

Evolution seems to do a pretty good job of recognizing the fact I do
have new messages in my IMAP folders and bolds them. Not having written
an email client before, is there some technical reason I'm missing why
this isn't feasible over IMAP or am I just missing something during
configuration?

--Chirs