Kernel Update Slows KDE/GNOME toolbar panels

In reading through this list, I gather my first post on this issue may
have been ignored because I wasn't paying attention to the format my mail
client uses. So, I'm trying again in plain text...

Up2Date updated my RH 8.0 kernel from 2.4.18-14 to 2.4.18-17.8.0. In both
Gnome and KDE, I set the toolbar to autohide. With the original kernel.
this worked fine. Immediately after the update, the autohide/restore
became so slow that the system was almost unusable. Consequently, I
continue to boot to the 2.4.18-14 kernel. However, I'm guessing there must
be some functional difference between the two kernels or RedHat wouldn't
have upgraded. Has anyone else run into this problem (I haven't seen a
reference to it in the list). If so, was it fixed, and how? If not, what
am I loosing -- if anything -- by not using the updated kernel?

Thanks.

Randy