Re: ftp, telnet not working

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, orion wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am new to RH Linux. Have just loaded RHL 8.0 on a new machine in a 2
> computer LAN. Everything seems to be OK, except that I can only login
> onto the new Linux machine from the other one (Win 2k) using ssh.
> Telnet, ftp, rlogin does not work (neither from the other machine, nor
> from the Linux one) - all ther servers were installed.
>    Where should I start to look for correction?
>    Also I cannot get Internet access from the Linux machine - can reach
> only the LAN's gateway - a D-LINK DI-604 router. No such problems from
> the Win2000 machine.
>    Thanks for any advice,
> mk

Not to worry, everyone is a newbie sometime.  :)

If you're positive that you installed them, then you can use either
redhat-config-services (? from X) or ntsysv (from a command-line).  If
via command-line, toggle the startup of the FTP server (vsftpd or
wu-ftpd), the telnet server, and rlogin server.

Since they are under xinetd's control (so to speak), just run
"service xinetd restart"

Tuan