Re: Lost mail & mail spool file locks

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 11:52, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> I've noticed that I had an incoming mail message go missing, and am
> looking at possible ways to prevent it in the future. Pointers to what
> I've missed much appreciated.
<snip>
> My best guess is that kmail read and deleted my local mail spool _while_
> sendmail was writting the last message.
  ^^ or fetchmail?
It Shouldn't Do This (tm)
                     (^^ is this becoming too much of a cliche?)
AFAIK you should be able to read mail "at the same time" because the
file should be 'locked'.  Provided 1. kmail / fetcmail / whatever use
the same lock file, and 2. you don't use symbolic links.  If you are
using symbolic links anywhere, I don't think you can lock them properly
/ at all.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
Death rays don't kill people, people kill people!!