Re: How about USB? (was: Re: issues with KVM switches)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Arend wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Sander Steffann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > What Asus boards exactly -- meaning the model numbers -- did you fry?
> >
> > I don't know exactly anymore. Older boards for sure... Probably P2B-DS but I
> > could be very wrong.
> >
> > > Does "fry" mean the boards became completely useless and unbootable, or
> > > just that certain components died?
> >
> > No, just the keyboard controller died, but that makes to whole board useless
> > since you can't reach the BIOS anymore, etc..
> >
> > > I think I did hotplug either a keyboard or mouse in my Asus P4T533 board
> > > and wonder if I made a mistake there. I've been hotplugging both into
> > > all my machines with apparently no problems except on the P4T533 board.
> >
> > We hotplugged a lot until the boards started breaking. We also had a
> > keyboard-connector with a broken connection once, so it's not only
> > electrical risk... After that, we didn't dare to take the risk anymore.
> >

> How about hotplugging USB keyboards?
>
> I've got a co-located server with a PS/1 keyboard and mouse resting on
> top of the box.
>
> If I set it up with a USB keyboard, could I yank it and take it home
> with me? And would it reload the drivers and work when/if I plugged it
> back in?

Should work. USB is specced to be hot-plugable.

I _have_ unplugged/replugged a trackbal and that worked. I was logged in, using
XFree at the time, and I plugged it into a different hole.

Also, on RHL you can plug a USB mouse in after install, after boot and after login
and it works. I had two of the rats at once!