Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #443 - 14 msgs

>Message: 5
>Subject: Re: nfs question
>From: "Mr. Adam ALLEN" <adam@dynamicinteraction.co.uk>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Date: 10 Nov 2002 12:00:02 +0000
>

>--=-MCkEiSQZ7w29udLZ1XDe
>
>On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 05:57, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> Okay
>> I;ve been using linux for about 8 months now and it is time to get seriou=
>s.
>> I want to network my iBook with this linux box.
>> I have them sharing the dsl connection, but not files or the printer.
>> Should I do that with nfs? smb?
>> And, can I set up an nfs server here when my ip is dynamic?
>
>When you say dynamic are you talking about the interface with your DSL
>connection ... or your internal lan address.  If you are talking about a
>dynamic IP address (192.168., 172.20., 10.) because you are behind a
>router of some kind then you don't need to worry.

Hmmm....okay, the IP from the dsl connex is dynamic.  I have both machines conected to an iPaq switch, sharing the DSL, but seemingly unaware of each other.  I wan to leave the printer onthe Linux box and have access to that and files on the same from the iBook.  I don;t know a darned thing about determining the IP on a LAN.
The DSL modem is going into the switch, then to both machines...Should I send the DSL into teh linux box first, then into the switch in order to make the 'nix box a server on the lan, then assign IP addresses? How do I not assign IPs that are already in use onthe internet?  Wouldn;t that confuse things? Really, I am clueless...must be annoying...
I definitely want the Linux box for the server, since the iBook is mobile and goes elsewhere with me.